COVID-19: Bangladesh’s casualties cross 300-mark with 16 more deaths
As coronavirus keeps moving fast, the death toll from the deadly virus in Bangladesh hit 314 with 16 more deaths being reported in the last 24 hours till Saturday.
The health authorities also confirmed 930 new cases during the period, pushing up the national total to an alarming level of 20,995.
Additional Director General of the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) Prof Dr Nasima Sultana came up with the disclosure at its daily online briefing.
In the last 24 hours, 32 coronavirus testing laboratories across the country tested 6782 samples, she added.
DGHS, however, did not receive test reports from nine laboratories due to weekly holiday on Friday, she said.
During the period, Dr Nasima said, 235 coronavirus-infected people fully recovered in the country.
The global death toll from coronavirus reached 308,807 as of Saturday.
According to worldometer data, 4,639,157 cases have so far been confirmed since the virus was first reported in China in December last year. So far, 1,766,039 people have recovered.
Of those infected, 2,564,311 are currently being treated and 45,014 of them are in serious or critical condition.
The World Health Organisation declared the coronavirus crisis a pandemic on March 11. Bangladesh confirmed its first coronavirus cases on March 8 and the first death on March 18.
To cope with the worsening coronavirus situation, the government on Thursday extended general holidays further until May 30.